African Insight is the first South African tour operator to fully embrace the principles of Responsible Tourism, which underpins all our operations and business practices.
We are constantly developing creative new adventure travel opportunities in South Africa to achieve our mission. We work in partnership with a variety of established credible partners in delivering various aspects of our program.
To enrich lives by creating unique interactive South African experiences which are fun, affordable, sustainable and promote the diverse Natural, historic and cultural heritage of our country. Our aim is to facilitate and uphold the objectives of Responsible Tourism through the establishment of vital partnerships, which provide benefit to local communities and support projects involved in environmental and biodiversity conservation
We are committed to tourism which does not impact negatively either on local people and/or fragile ecosystems, but instead, inspires our travellers to respect and conserve our planet for future generations.
Director and owner, Andrew Anderson, has been working in the professional conservation and tourism industry since 1986. Using his professional qualification in nature conservation he worked in Zululand for the well-known and respected Natal Parks Board (Now KZN wildlife) for 11 years, before starting his own business in wildlife and environmental travel.
The success of our business is related to how we connect with people. Our entire team of sales and travel consultants, administration staff and our guides share the African Insight vision, but their greatest strength is their ability to reach out to people and share with them their passion for South Africa’s people, wildlife and wilderness areas. Our guides are the backbone of our business and are all highly experienced and qualified.
African Insight is the ideal travel partner in two core markets; Academic field trips for tertiary education institutions and Youth Development Programmes for secondary schools, on a fully escorted, guided basis.
South Africa is an amazing location for educational field trips, particularly those based on personal developments, adventurous activities, wildlife, biodiversity, conservation, environmental studies, agricultural, anthropology, archaeology, developing world economies and sustainable tourism, to name a few.
The combination of Africa’s best wildlife destinations, oldest wilderness areas, vast open spaces, diverse landscapes, vibrant traditional cultures and first world infrastructure, makes South Africa unlike any other African country and creates the opportunity for potentially life changing travel experiences for Students.
take groups of youngsters on a journey of discovery, which will enrich not only their own lives but those of the communities they meet along the way.
"Truly enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing your travel will not negatively impact on the environment or communities."
Adult & Family Travel
Somkhanda Game Reserve
Kudu Bush Lodge:
- Private Camp situated on a prominent ridge in Somkhanda Game Reserve
- Impressive Panoramic views across the valley and hills beyond
- Consists of 2 separate units with a deluxe / family suite and two standard ensuite rooms making six rooms in total
- Rooms and camp are serviced on a daily basis and each has a bar fridge with tea / coffee making facilities
- Total capacity of 12 adults and 4 children
- Can be self-catered or full board basis
- The camp has a swimming pool
Scotia Camp Site:
- Private Campsite for up to 10 tents
- Located in a secluded location in the reserve
- Serviced with two hot showers and two toilets
- Accessible only by 4x4
- Can be booked on the site only or as a fully equipped mobile safari camp with the added option of full catering
Somkhanda is home to populations of both black and white rhino and has just seen the reintroduction of Cape buffalo and elephants. It has a comprehensive range of all the large mammals that historically occurred in this region, including some top predators such as elusive leopards, hyena and wild dog. This unique situation affords the opportunity for Somkhanda Academy to offer internships and volunteer opportunities in South Africa where you can get involved in the reserve’s wildlife and environmental management, ecological research and monitoring programs.
- Science on Safari Model with the objective of developing a range of wildlife experiences that adds to financial sustainability of the reserve
- Provide vital scientific data of the fauna and flora
- Intern and Volunteer Programmes for those who are considering a career in Conservation Management, Ecological Research and Hospitality and Eco-tourism
The aim of our programs is to take groups of youngsters on a journey of discovery, which will enrich not only their own lives but will potentially make a difference to the lives of hundreds of rural South African school children long after they have left.
A selection of potentially life-changing experiences can be pieced together in a “seamless” South African adventure. The modules that follow offer group leaders flexibility of tailor making a uniquely South African life experience that matches the group's aims and objectives.
Minimum requirements for field trips:
- All participants are 15 years or older
- Itineraries are for a minimum of 10 days groups consist of a minimum of 10 participants
- Groups are accompanied by at least 1 adult per 10 students
- All participants agree to sign a responsible tourism code of conduct
- Proof of travel insurance before arrival
Academic Field Trips
African Insight has been providing academic field trips to South Africa since 1999, and many of our partner academic institutions report that these field trips have played a significant role in increasing recruitment onto courses as well as substantially improving student retention on courses.
We provide a complete service for every step of your academic field trip including:
- Itinerary planning
- Administration of travel documentation
- Payment Schedules
- Travel Insurance
- Preparation for parent meetings
- We also offer Overseas Trip Planning Workshops
Go Wild! Self Drives and Adventure Trips
Travel with African Insight to see Southern Africa through local eyes’ and experience our continent with greater awareness and sensitivity. You will leave knowing that you have made a difference to the people and the places you have visited as well as to yourself.
African Insight has completely dedicated its’ resources to the Principles of Responsible Tourism ensuring that travellers tread lightly and truly enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing their holiday will not negatively impact on local communities and environments and will maximise the local economic benefits to the communities and regions visited.
Trips we offer:
- Bush and Beach
- Wild Coast Hike
- Northern Explorer
- Zululand Conservation Experience